The Power Run
Regular (un-switched) power.
What needs regular power:
- Receptacle Outlets. Obviously all regular receptacle outlets, and gfci outlets need regular power.
- Smoke detectors. The smoke detectors need regular power to ONE of the units, after that they are handled a little different. See the section on smoke detectors for more information.
- Non-Switched Lights. Any lights that do not use a wall switch, such as some storage area lights that have a pull-chain on them, will require regular power.
- The Doorbell/Chime Don't forget about your doorbell! See the section on doorbell/chime wiring.
What doesn't need regular power:
- Smoke Detectors. As I said above, only one smoke detector needs regular power. See the section on smoke detectors for more information.
- Switched Items. Most switched items will use switched power. See the section on switching to decide what method you will use, and pull your cable accordingly.